Cindy Tonkin 0412 135 426
Over 20 years’ experience successfully delivering change in large complex organisations
Former Accenture, PwC consultant and consulting to KPMG. Delivering systems, process, culture and people programs in the public and private sector. Former clients include Salesforce, Telstra, Commonwealth Bank, NSW Police, Transport NSW, Relationships Australia, Australian Broadcasting Commission.
Experienced coach and influence professional. Strong documentation ability. Excels at designing and presenting effective change and leadership training programs. Equally comfortable in hands-on and advisory work. Author of 18 business books.
L&D / Capability Development
- Managed all communications, documentation and training initiatives for Microsoft Dynamics 365 install
- Trained internal trainer population to deliver support on the ground in 15 centres across NSW; designed and ran “broadcast” Stakeholder engagement sessions / Awareness, Desire and Knowledge sessions for 388 users, using supporting video and guides
- Delivered customised key stakeholder briefings and trainings to ensure the grapevine and official comms were synchronised, and to maximise collaboration
- Developed and implemented change impact analyses, solutions-focused consultations with stakeholders, including 1:1 and larger group to maximise business adoption
Managing end-to-end change large cross-functional business projects
- Telstra Data Reporting and Analytics: Played a key role in a cross-functional transformation team, supported the overarching transformation strategy. Drove change adoption within the Procurement and Supply Chain portfolio, ensuring a pragmatic approach and awareness of the diverse needs of various employee groups in India and Australia. Played a hands-on Change Management role as Australian team members left the team and new outsourced team members on-boarded in India (via Accenture) – more details on page 4
- CBA Change management for Research, Insights and Analytics while core banking replacement and direct marketing system in warehouse was in progress – more details on page 5
- Specification and Change plan for NSW Police Force to change use of SAP in recruitment
- Identification and planning of changes to payroll systems in Transport for NSW
Variety of Change Management methodologies and tools
- Experienced applying Change Methodologies and working with Project Frameworks in mature and immature cultures, ADKAR, Bridges, Agile, Neuro-Linguistic Programming, Neuro-leadership
- Designed and delivered strategic plans and think pieces for boards and senior teams at NSW Police Force, Telstra Data and Insights, Syngenta Australia
- Managed business handover and transition to embed sustainable change
- Managed risks and issues throughout the project lifecycle, created and implemented remediation plans for identified gaps
Strong communication, planning and delivery
- Vibrant presenter and trainer, skilled facilitator, published author
- Built in business readiness and acceptance checkpoints to change and training plans, implemented change and training initiatives to ensure business readiness and fill gaps in capability
- Conducted detailed business impact assessments and needs analyses working closely with Business Analysts, Business Stakeholders and SMEs in complex matrix organisations
- Created detailed change and communications plans and consulted with senior management stakeholders on the options available to realise their business benefits. Managed deliverable sign-off.
- Designed and created change, training and communication interventions to drive awareness and desire – executive briefing packs, presentations, infographics, posters, cheat sheets, YouTube style videos, memes, podcasts – and to drive knowledge and ability with soft skills training through to systems training delivered remotely and face-to-face
Skilled influencer and persuader
- Experienced in managing and influencing stakeholders, comfortable engaging end-users in frontline roles and operations through middle managers and senior managers to executive. Executive coach to senior level managers and exec. Aware and able to leverage systemic incentives to nudge teams towards desired behaviours
- Specialised skills in engaging smart technical people (data analysts, statisticians, data scientists)
- Coached Business Stakeholders to reinforce and embed change
- Developed change strategies, scoped change requirements and applied change methodologies
- Scoped change and training to understand resources, budget and timeline needed to deliver change stream
Critical thinker with ability to connect the dots and find solutions
- Teach and practice comedic improvisation, which develops skills of living in the moment, staying graceful under pressure, listening well, responding to stimulus, bringing together disparate ideas
- Trusted advisor and coach, passionate about engaging senior leadership teams and empowering them to lead their people and embed sustainable change in their organisation to realise business benefits.
Selected Experience History
Leadership Coach, Trainer and Facilitator the human enterprise, Leadership consultancy
May 2023 ongoing
- Clients: Salesforce, NSW Department of Customer Service, Essential Energy, Australian Broadcasting Commission, Starlight Foundation
- Improved on-the-ground effectiveness from delegation to leading and embedding change to managing poor performance. Facilitated one-day programs, coached execs, created online content.
Changeworks Consulting Senior Change Manager
Jan 2022 – April 2023
Senior Change Manager CRM install
Dec 2022 – April 2023
- Client: Relationships Australia NSW
- Reviewed and reported on state of botched tech installation and its effect on the user population, recommending a way forward
- Created new training, change and communications strategies
- Worked with operational leadership to set a better project team structure to deliver phase II of the IT project
Senior Change Manager CRM install
Aug 2022 – Nov 2022
- Client: Relationships Australia NSW
- Managed all communications and training initiatives for Microsoft Dynamics 365 install
- Made training documentation work
- Trained internal trainer population to deliver support on the ground in 15 centres across NSW
- Designed and ran “broadcast” Awareness, Desire and Knowledge sessions for 388 users, using supporting video and guides
Capability Development Senior Change Manager
Jan 2022 – Aug 2022
- Client: Syngenta
- Lead and delivered change management strategy and activities to support change program: 360-degree Capability Framework for Sales, write and deliver feedback and interpretation documents for line managers and subjects, learning strategy to go with the new tool, integrate into existing individual development plans; Australian systems copied across APAC
- Defined change strategy and plan for capability development to support key CX / Customer Experience change program. Lead change communication efforts, delivered change impact analyses, sourced, supported and facilitated training. Managed key senior stakeholder relationships across the business to ensured change alignment with geographically dispersed teams
- Facilitated key capability uplifts in existing tech poorly change managed in the past (MS Teams, Outlook, SharePoint, Learning Management System); Boosted awareness and desire to learn. Changed how Comms delivered to increase participation and engagement in HR related programs. 50% penetration of new skills in 3-month window
The human enterprise – Leadership consultancy Leadership Development Trainer and Coach
Jul 2021 – Jan 2022
- Leadership training and coaching for senior teams at Volvo Car Australia, Eucalyptus VC, Starlight Foundation, SalesForce, HSBC Bank, Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy
- Leadership development programs delivered face-to-face and online to teams of up to 20 leaders
- Covered topics including delegation, identifying root cause, giving performance feedback, handling push back, giving effective positive feedback.
Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission Engagement and Education Division Senior Change Management Lead
Aug 2020 – June 2021
- Lead and delivered change management strategy and activities to support change program: Scale Quality Assessor Training Program for influx of 20 times the number of new learners each month (from 8 learners per month to 150 per month). Reduced 12 hours of marking time per learner to less than 1. Replaced manual emails and file transfers. Moved antiquated MS Word “workbooks” to Rise/Articulate modules on LMS (Learn hub). Standardised legislative training through use of recorded material. Reconfigured and extended existing training to meet requirements of Royal Commission.
- Defined change strategy and plan to support key transformation and change programs, conducted business readiness assessments. Lead change communication efforts, delivered change impact analyses, supported and facilitated training. Managed key senior stakeholder relationships across 9 areas including recruitment, policy, training, procurement, quality assessors, information technology, diversity; ensured change alignment, interfaced with geographically dispersed teams
- Acted as the people change lead and was the point of contact for all change activities. Defined and measured success metrics and monitor change progress. Coordinated and liaised with training resources; facilitated the change planning process with relevant stakeholders, coordinated input from various change partnership areas. developed and facilitated engagement and approval of the change strategy/approach
- Facilitated the move of provider training programs from face-to-face training workshops to online. Increased number of participants 400% while reducing trainer time by 50%. Redesigned workshops from 7 hours to 2.5 hours. Demonstrated delivery and train new trainers. Revolutionised standard operating procedures, PowerPoint slide presentations and facilitators guides.
- Modernised, automated and future-proofed existing training approaches. Change managed the 20+ year-experienced technophobic trainer population to adopt and upskill to Microsoft Teams, Adobe Connect and existing, unused, LMS Learn hub.
Telstra Data, Reporting and Analytics and Research Insights and Analytics Senior Change Manager
Jan 2011 – June 2020
- Played a key role in a cross-functional transformation team, supported the overarching transformation strategy. Drove change adoption within the Procurement and Supply Chain portfolio, ensuring a pragmatic approach and awareness of the diverse needs of various employee groups in India and Australia
- Prepared change, communication, learning and engagement material, updates to key stakeholders, weekly team email briefings. Contributed to the ongoing uplift of change management capability across the broader business, interfacing with geographically dispersed teams. Lead a hands-on Change Management role as Australian team members left the team and new outsourced team members on-boarded in India (via Accenture)
- Gave teams the tools and how-to for dealing with stakeholders, leveraging SME knowledge, setting priorities and removing obstacles to success. Working agile: scrum, data governance, and customer experience and data requirements. Dealt with ethnic and cultural implementation issues
- Created and reinforced accountability where previously there was none. Connected the business leaders to each other and with the right technical people to achieve deadlines. Eliminated roadblocks specially to do with people not communicating or listening. Persevered in the face of process and change weariness
- Made communications work between onshore and offshore teams implementing a new Service Now platform and introducing agile working. Worked across silos – reducing cross-product noise
- Facilitated and defined change strategy and plans to support key transformation and change programs, building analytics capability and then as the organisation moved into downsizing, off shoring and restructuring
- Managed key leader business relationships, build team and support the overarching transformation strategy
- Drove change adoption within the portfolio, ensured a pragmatic approach and awareness of the diverse needs of various employee groups
- Prepared change, communications, learning and engagement material: from stress management and well-being tips to CV advice to how to ask better questions
- Created change scope definition and management, change plan and change alignment
- Identified and managed stakeholders, lead change communication efforts, defined success metrics and monitored change progress This assignment was upscaled to a full-time contract in 2020
NSW Police Change Management Directorate Productivity and Change Feasibility Planner
Mar 2007 – Nov 2011
- Defined change scope. Identified issues and opportunities for better, faster service and continuous improvement. Wrote change plan and change impact assessment, change alignment; change related risk management / reporting, defined change benefits, completed benefits realisation plan
- Quantified opportunity, outlined implementation steps, communicated with key stakeholders, integrated with other change initiatives.
- Completed 17 assignments at NSW Police from 2007 to 2019, 5 at the Police Academy, 4 for the Local Area Commands Transformation, 4 in Shared Services Centralisation Project, 2 in Recruitment, and separate projects at the 000 line and Information Services.
Commonwealth Bank Research and Analytics Stakeholder and Managers Change Manager
Sept 2004 – May 2013
- Change management for Research, Insights and Analytics during Core banking replacement and direct marketing system warehouse overhaul
- Pivotal front of room and back room change role in a cross-functional ADKAR-led transformation team, supporting the over-arching transformation strategy; drove change adoption within the Executive Manager and Senior Manager population. More than 40 EMs and SMs participated over 12 months. Created a pragmatic, skills-driven approach which covertly created a more stakeholder-friendly, easier to work for, and easier to manage EM/SM population. Overt agenda to up key leadership skills. Covert agenda to guide them through change and increase stakeholder engagement and satisfaction.
- Prepared change, communications, and learning and engagement materials. Created change scope definition and management, change plan and change alignment. Identified and managed stakeholders, lead change communication efforts, defined success metrics and monitored change progress Population include Executive General Manager, Leadership Team and high potential data and insights professionals
- Eliminated impediments to success, built Desire and Knowledge: facilitated regular senior team offsites to share and implement the vision, highlight and solve operational problems. Developed short interventions to improve speed and agility of problem escalation, ask better questions, take better briefs, stop rework, build trust and keep stakeholders on side. Prepared change, communications, learning and engagement materials:
- Internal Customer Service measures improved significantly over the 1-year program.
Education and Qualifications
- First Class BA Hons University of Sydney
- Masters Linguistics Université de Paris VIII à St Denis, France (MA)
- Master Trainer of Neuro-Linguistic Programming, Copenhagen, Denmark
- MBTI, DiSC, Neuro-Linguistic Programming certified
- Why Should Anyone be Led by you Leadership Trainer Accreditation: Blessing White
- Author of 18 business books
- Graduate Uncertainty Experts Program 2023
- Certified Management Consultant, Institute of Management Consultants 2006