Pause for Thought: Your attention is your most valuable resource, and it’s being hijacked by technology companies. Tech companies (facebook, youtube, snapchat, ted) are scheduling our lives for us by steering the time lines of a billion people (insane! the influence in that is incredible).
Watch this video from TED.
Here are some of the points I thought were interesting:
- outrage works better for getting your attention
- you need to acknowledge that you are persuadable (and notice that you’re being persuaded)
- People in the “control rooms” of facebook etc need to be accountable
- What if they wanted to eliminate loneliness, instead of making money?
- imagine a search and replace on everything that steers us towards our screens and moved it towards putting our attention on what we care about, what makes us less lonely, what’s important
- There’s nothing in our lives and our collective problems that doesn’t require our attention to be on the right things.
- Right now our technology is only asking our lizard brain what would hold our attention next.