If you’ve ever received an email or a call from a cranky person, then you could use this.
People are difficult because they feel misunderstood. When you pace and lead them they begin to feel understood, and then they become more pliable, more agreeable, more open to solutions.
You can reflect back on a good encounter, and chances are you consciously or unconsciously paced them very well before you suggested a solution.
Click here to read some step by step how to on “hypnotic selling” the magic that is pacing and leading.
Other posts on pacing and leading (the elements of rapport):
- You already know this. That’s why it will be useful
- Rapport matters: what do you need to have in common
- Ten Techniques to Build Rapport
- Building rapport – or getting on with the client
- Asking questions: Getting context
- Better Ways to Negotiate
- Managing difficult staff with empathy